Red Storm working on The Division’s ‘authentic arsenal of weapons’

Ghost Recon developer Red Storm has been drafted in to work on The Division‘s “authentic arsenal of weapons,” Ubisoft has revealed.

Primary developer Ubisoft Massive reached out to other studios for support last fall. Red Storm was apparently top of the list due to its work on the original Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon. “They knew that surely we must have a team here that knows what we’re doing on that front,” said Red Storm producer Tony Sturtzel. “They were right and our weapons team was available.”

“I, personally, have been doing it for about six years now,” added Lead Weapons Designer JD Cragg. “One of the guys on my team has been doing it for almost nine. This is pretty much all I do – authentic military weapons, vehicles and that sort of thing.”

Red Storm will mainly focus on artwork for The Division‘s weapons. A team of three dedicated artists at Red Storm are currently working with a team member in Sweden on the weapons.

While realism is of the utmost importance when it comes to designing the game’s weaponry, Cragg did add that the team is willing to compromize to increase their overall fun. “Fun is definitely the number one goal,” he said, “But as far as the artwork is concerned, we don’t have to make too many concessions there.”

The Division is set to release later this year for PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.

Source: Ubisoft Blog